Thursday, February 16, 2017

print on demand fabric - local studies potential

I recently had my first play with Spoonflower. The image below shows what the print looks like. I was impressed. I hemmed these and they became small table cloths (for gifts).

My first adventures with Spoonflower
There is a lot of potential for local studies digitised material to be turned into fabric, and Spoonflower is just one option.  I am a fan of Redbubble too, for the objects which can be created, but this time I wanted the flexibility of fabric, not an end product.

The print is from hand written recipes which one of my grandmothers recorded, and, as you can see from the scan below, became a bit battered over time.   I like that they were used. I have not made all the recipes on this page, but the Quong Tart Scones and the Current Scones are both lovely (even if I did have to look up weight conversions).
9
You can see more of these hand written recipes on Flickr.  If anyone wants to help transcribe them, that would be brilliant.  I am doing them slowly as part of a family project.

I have not seen local studies collections encouraging the use of their collections for print on demand fabric, but was impressed to see State Library of Victoria encouraging using designs from their collection for paper.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, I'm thinking of tea towels with Mum's handwritten recipes as gifts for nephews and nieces.

    ReplyDelete